The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic earlier this year has changed the world as we know it. Multiple restrictions have been set up all over the world to battle this disease. Be it lockdowns in various countries, or travel restrictions, the whole world has had to adjust to the new normal.
Unprecedented steps have been taken by governments all over the globe to fight the virus. Be it working from home, attending schools and meetings online, or conducting business from a newly-setup home office, we all have come to depend on technology to stay connected. This change in trend has made Smartphone’s indispensable.
All these changes happening around us have also led to a change in the trend of downloading apps. Apps could be counted as one of the primary reasons we use our phones most of the time. From Zoom to Google Meet, to WhatsApp, Smartphone users are depending on these apps to stay connected across the world.
Listed below are some of the most popular apps, with the highest number of downloads across the world.
- Zoom: Since the onset of the pandemic, it has become more important than ever to have a platform that allows one to stay connected to more than one person at a time. Zoom is an online video calling app, that has been used for online meetings and virtual classrooms. This app turned out to be extremely popular, especially during the pandemic, due to its user-friendly interface and ease of access. This app has the option of adding up to 100 people to a meeting.
- WhatsApp: One of the most used instant messaging platforms; WhatsApp can be used for professional and personal communication. This app also features end-to-end encrypted voice and video calls. It also has a WhatsApp status, similar to Instagram stories. It is an easy-to-use app, and can also be used to share documents, videos, contacts, and pictures.
- Facebook: This social networking app is still one of the most popular and highly downloaded. With features like Facebook Stories, Facebook lite (for slower connections or lesser data use), and live videos, this app is one of the most downloaded around the globe.
- Messenger: Another very popular messaging app, Messenger is a part of the Facebook family. This app is essential to use the messaging feature on Facebook.
- Instagram: Another app owned by Facebook; Instagram has also been one of the most downloaded apps in the world. An extremely popular photo-sharing platform, Instagram has also included various functions in its interface. New features like Reels, which enable the user to upload short video clips, are the reason for the ever-increasing popularity of this app.
- Google Meet: Another popular video-calling app, the Google Meet platform can be used to host meetings or conduct online classrooms. With high-quality video calling, this app can accommodate up to 250 participants. This user-friendly app allows users to share their screen during meetings.
- AarogyaSetu: A health app designed by the government of India, this app assists people in social distancing during the pandemic. It uses Bluetooth and GPS to keep a track of corona positive patients. It also assists users by providing them with symptoms to gauge their risk profile.
- YouTube: This video-sharing app is one of the most popular and downloaded apps. Great for sharing and viewing videos, this app works on desktops as well. Offline downloading is a popular feature of the YouTube app, which allows users to download videos that can then be watched without an active internet connection. The app also offers the options of livestreaming content.
Originally posted 2020-08-12 15:15:07.