Health Benefits with Lettuce: Lettuce, or Lactuca Sativa, belongs to the daisy family Asteraceae and is generally cultivated as a leaf vegetable. An easily cultivated vegetable, lettuce resembles cabbage, but with a crunchier texture.
An immensely popular vegetable, lettuce is an essential ingredient in many salads. With its crispy leaves, lettuce is also an important ingredient in burgers, sandwiches, soups, and subs. It can be eaten raw or grilled for added flavor.
Often referred to as a ‘weight-loss vegetable’, this leafy wonder is believed to have its origins in ancient Egypt.
Apart from being an extremely popular weight-loss food, lettuce is also known for multiple health benefits. This vegetable is rich in antioxidants like vitamin C. It is also rich in nutrients like potassium, vitamin A and vitamin K. Lettuce leaves are crunchy, versatile, and delicious. Below are a few of the many health benefits of this wonder-vegetable.
- Inflammation: Lettuce leaves have certain proteins like lipoxygenase that have anti-inflammatory properties. Introducing lettuce in your diet can help in ailments that are caused by inflammation.
- Low Calories: Lettuce leaves are extremely low in calories, 15 calories per a 100 g serving. These leaves are also considered calorie-negative, which means, digesting lettuce burns more calories than the amount present in the vegetable itself.
- High Water Content: Lettuce is almost 95 percent water. This means that this vegetable is not only rich in nutrients, it is also a great choice to keep you hydrated along with a feeling of fullness. This is believed to aid in weight loss.
- Zero Cholesterol or Fat: This healthy vegetable has zero cholesterol, saturated fat, and unsaturated fat.
- Nutrients: Lettuce is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Iron, Potassium, and Manganese. These nutrients give lettuce excellent antioxidant properties. Vitamins A, K, and C also help in the enhancement of bone health. They also may help improving skin and hair health. The potassium in lettuce may help in enhancing muscle strength. Nutrients like iron and potassium may aid in improved metabolism. Potassium also helps to control blood pressure. Regular consumption of lettuce is known to aid in the prevention of iron-deficiency anemia, osteoporosis, and protect from cardiovascular diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancers.
- Blood Sugar: Lactucaxanthin in lettuce is known to be an anti-diabetic carotenoid. This can aid in the prevention of fluctuation of levels of the blood sugar.
- Immunity: The vitamins C and A found in lettuce are great for boosting immunity.
With such a multitude of benefits, this leafy vegetable is a delicious, healthy inclusion of any diet. It can be used to add a crunchy texture to salads, sandwiches, wraps, and so much more. A good plate of salad offers you all the fiber required for your health. This not only lowers the bad cholesterol but can also prevent constipation. This helps in maintaining your ‘perfect’ weight and takes care of your heart. There are no further reasons required to include this wonder vegetable in your diet.
Originally posted 2020-08-10 06:03:10.